Here we go again, I booked a flight to Cairo. Definitely something that I did before several times, but still, every time I do it, I go through a series of feelings.
1. The technical stuff (kind of)
No matter what the destination is, when I decide to book a flight I check rates a million times, usually in 2 ways:
– Directly on the airline(s) website – in my case I have 2 options: Alitalia or Egyptair. I prefer Egyptair but in this case the airport is quite far so the choice just depends on the price.
– On Kayak (BlackBerry app) – this little software made me discover Czech Airlines with the best fares ever! But after the revolution, they sadly canceled Egypt from their destinations. Wtf Czech Airlines?
This time, Kayak was kinda disappointing, but I kept checking on Alitalia.com and Egyptair.com until I found the rate I was looking for: € 295 return.
I will leave on October 20th and come back on November 7th, in sha Allah (getting in the Egyptian mood again! Oh well did I ever quit?), and I’m flying with Alitalia with a short stopover in Rome FCO.
Ok, enough for the technical details! Let’s talk drama.
2. Drama time
When I make the decision, so I find the perfect flight and time and days and rate and all, I keep staring at the booking page for hours so that my sessions expire multiple times, but there’s always a series of thoughts that go through my head in those hours, such as:
– If I book on Fri instead of Thurs will it make a difference?
– If I book on Fri instead of Thurs what if the Fri flight crashes?
– If I book on Fri instead of Thurs what if Thurs is someone’s birthday and I miss it? *go through birthdays on Facebook*
…and so on.
I usually end up booking for a few more days than I originally planned, “just in case”.
Then, there is the “filling passenger’s details” panic, where I am scared to death of spelling my name wrong or anything else.
Then, there is the “confirm payment” anxiety – about 10 minutes with the cursor on the “pay” button, and then a deep breath and…
OMG I did it!
So how do I feel now?
Definitely not what most people would expect.
I am not super excited, I am not counting the days. I just feel normal.
BEFORE booking the flight I kept thinking about Egypt every single day since I came back to Italy. I was missing the Country and all the people I met there so much, and wondering when I could go back again, and worrying I wouldn’t make it before mid 2012.
But now I have a ticket and it says I’m going soon, so I feel relaxed, as if this was the most natural thing on Earth.
Natural as going home.