Yes, “uh oh” – It’s just the right word!
Every self-respecting long term traveler knows what I’m talking about. Ok, I’m a girl, maybe I’m “slightly” more sensitive than you guys, but come on, we all came across this matter sooner or later.
Unless you are one of those super lucky people who travels with a partner you might be a solo traveler like me. And solo travelers meet tons of people everywhere and all the time… “at their own risk“.
Ok, I’m not only talking in general but also about what I think about this matter. Personally, I love to travel on my own, and one of the reasons I travel is that I don’t like bonds – permanent contracts, house mortgages, stuff like that. There’s no boyfriend waiting for me at home and I can enjoy my freedom without missing my significant other. I know what you’re thinking about but talking about freedom I just mean I can travel and stay away from home as long as I want… you nasty minds!
But of course things happen. We are young and we are free (well, unfaithful assholes are out there too, unfortunately) and we might just like each other. And you know the rest.
I don’t think a long term traveler is looking for “Mr/Miss Right” while traveling – that’s called masochism. Before departure I was so committed to staying single, because starting a story and then leave hurts and screws up the whole excitement of leaving. And at least “mission #1” was accomplished.
But then you are on the road and again, things happen. It’s just part of the game. So… what happens next? People like me who are not that into one-night stands are in trouble! And your mind starts going through an interesting series of stages:
- Even if you try hard not to fall in love, it will definitely happen. Or at least you’ll have a billion crushes – “one in each place”.
- You can’t ask (demand) the other person to stay with you when he/she knows you’re leaving soon. Sometimes it’s even worse when you’re staying in one place for a few months and not just a few days, because you have all the time to grow fond or fall in love. And you try hard not to fall in love. Not easy.
- You hate yourself because you knew you were going to be hurt.
- But at the same time, you can’t stay single forever. I mean, we’re human beings! And come on, he/she is so hot!
- You start thinking that maybe you could find the perfect one who will just leave everything stranded and set sail with you. Ah – ah.
- In the blink of an eye you realize that’s not going to happen. Unless you’re very, very lucky. And you don’t really think you are. Usually you’ll end up with someone great but that hates traveling and has no desire to leave the Country.
- You feel lonely as hell!
- Consequent risk of fuck up is directly proportional to how lonely you feel. Uh – oh.
And when it’s too late because you screwed up already, how do you handle it? You can enjoy your relationship then you have to leave. What comes next? No promises. Usually, not a single word.
- Shall I text him/her (plz help me answering this one!)?
- Will he/she answer (anxiety!)?
- What’s the point in texting/emailing/wall posting/tweeting/whatever, if we’re not gonna meet again?
- How do I forget?
Well, I think that anyway traveling is a good medicine itself. It can be hard to forget someone, but thanks God you’re not going back to your daily routine: you’re moving on to great and new experiences, and this will surely help.
I mean, when we decide to leave we all know that a real love story is not likely to occur. We are prepared to it. We don’t really want one, right? So that’s just part of the game. Sometimes it sucks, because maybe you really like that person. But anyway time will tell. If you’re supposed to meet again things will work out the right way. And in the meantime your journey goes on...
As Bjork says
uncertainty excites me baby, who knows what’s going to happen?
you know that’s the main reason why you chose to travel. Don’t ever regret it!
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Yasmine Rashad Khair, Lisa E, Giulia, Giulia, Giulia and others. Giulia said: ***NEW POST: Long Term Travel + Relationships… trouble! http://bit.ly/bGhMOD #travel #love […]